Social Media: Facebook: Faith Trust and Pixie Dust - Podcast
Check us out on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Podcasts, and Spotify!!!
● “Feature Film” The Great Mouse Detective
○ Released on July 2nd 1986. Basil, the rodent Sherlock Holmes, investigates the kidnapping of a toy-maker and uncovers its link to his arch-enemy, Professor Ratigan.
○ Thoughts and Reactions?
■ The clock tower scene is the first major use of computer animation (the clock's gears) in a feature-length animated film. The same scene was also the first time traditionally-animated characters were put inside a computer-generated background.
■ The "Let Me Be Good To You" segment was almost cut because though brief, the lyrics and some animation was considered "too risque" for a Disney animated family film, the animators avoided a PG rating and got the scene kept in by appealing to the censors on the grounds that the segment was a Cabaret song and harmless in lyrics, and because the character animated singing it was a mouse, not a human and thus not questionable.
■ Basil of Baker Street is named after Basil Rathbone, who played Sherlock Holmes in 14 films. By strange coincidence, Basil was also a name used by a disguised Holmes in Arthur Conan Doyle's "The Adventure of Black Peter."
■ Alan Young had performed a near-perfect Scottish accent as the voice Scrooge McDuck for the 1977 Disneyland Records adaptation of "A Christmas Carol" (which he also developed and wrote). He repeated the role of McDuck in Mickey's Christmas Carol(1983), and was a natural for the Scottish accent of Hiram Flaversham.
■ The first meeting between Basil and Dawson where Basil guesses he came from Afghanistan and gives a complicated explanation how he assume it, mirrors first meeting between Holmes and Watson in Arthur Conan Doyle's "A Study in Scarlet" (the first Holmes novel) where Holmes does the same thing.
■ Production took only one year to complete thanks to the use of computers.
● Segment: This week in Disney history “Once Upon a Time”
○ April 10th 1992 - Disney's live-action feature film musical Newsies is released in theaters.
● Segment: News/Announcements “The Newsies Banner”
○ Should be getting Star Wars Episode 9 Trailer the day this episode goes up.
○ Dumbo is not doing well at the box office
■ "Oh man, they could teach a film course on why Dumbo didn't work. It was like Tim Burton was going through the emotions. It felt like an expensive, uninspired story told very blandly without Disney or Burton's signature magic," says box office analyst Jeff Bock with Exhibitor Relations. "What a missed opportunity. I doubt we'll see a Burton budget like this again."
○ Avengers: Endgame Ticket Sale Chaos
■ "Endgame" set Fandango's first day pre-sales record overtaking "Star Wars: The Force Awakens." It broke the record in only six hours, the online ticket seller reported on Tuesday evening
● Segment: weekly top 4 (secret from each other)”Let’s get down to business”
○ Top 4 Disney Duos:
1. Lilo and Stitch
2. Judy and Nick
3. Mike and Sully
4. Bianca and Bernard
Tease Next Week: The Black Cauldron Top 4: Darkest Disney Moments